A quick overview of the management structure of the Australian Photographic Society
The Management Team is a two-tiered system of governance.
The Management Committee (MC) comprises 7 individuals with voting rights. All members of this MC team are encouraged to participate in full discussion in the general meetings.
The MC comprises of an Executive Committee - President, Senior Vice President, Junior Vice President, Treasurer and Immediate Past President. The other 2 positions are General Members.
The Society has 5 Specialist Groups - Audio Visual, Contemporary, Digital, Nature and Print. Each Group has a member of MC allocated to them as a Liaison Officer whose role it is to liaise between the Group and MC.
Position of Senior Vice President
It is highly recommended to fulfil the position of Senior Vice President in preparation for the position of President of the Australian Photographic Society. The role is a minimum two-year term.
Primarily the Senior Vice President will need to:
- uphold the The Rules of Association of the Society.
- continually strive to improve the organisation's policy, activities and administration.
- represent the Society to the outside world.
- sound out suitable persons as to their willingness to stand for office or other capacities.
- stand in for the President if he or she is unavailable
The Senior Vice President will be expected to:
- preferably have some form of management experience.
- assist the President and be mentored for the position of President.
- possess the ability to understand the issues that affect the Society: be able to analyse these issues in a constructive manner and act decisively after taking into account the views of others on the Management Team.
- have the ability to accept technological advances and understand how they can be integrated into procedures to benefit the society. Similarly, be able to think outside the square and be able to introduce new ideas for discussion.
- participate in general meetings and teleconferences in whatever form they take.
- send out reminders to the States re Service Honours for the following year.
- be on the Honours Subcommittee and actively participate in decision making.
- act as Liaison Officer for Complaints.
- as a member of the Management Committee, be available to participate in the general meetings throughout the year, whatever form they take.
- liaise with Australian Photography re submissions from members who have recently attained photographic honours.
- have computer and internet access and be prepared to use it for communication between the Management Team (both email and web).
Applicants for this position should consider if they have:
- adequate time to do this position justice.
- a genuine interest in voluntary committee work.
- a genuine interest in the objectives of the Society.
- an independent mind.
- the ability to make decisions based on principles rather than on personalities or personal beliefs.
- good standing in the community.