Overview of the management structure of the Australian Photographic Society
The Management Team is a two-tiered system of governance.
The Management Committee (MC) comprises seven individuals with voting rights. All members of this MC team are encouraged to participate in full discussion in the general meetings.
The MC comprises an Executive Committee - President, Senior Vice President, Junior Vice President, Treasurer and Immediate Past President. The other two positions are General Members.
The Society has five Specialist Groups - Audio Visual, Contemporary, Digital, Nature and Print. Each Group has a member of MC allocated to them as a Liaison Officer.
Position of Print Group Chairperson
The Print Group aims to promote and encourage the photographic image on paper. There are many ways of achieving this – the use of silver in conventional monochrome papers, dyes in conventional colour papers and alternative methods of printing, chemicals in other printings and, of course, digitally printed images.
A Policies and Procedures Manual is available to assist the applicant in this position. Additionally, support will be provided by the Management Team and Business Manager.
Primarily the Chairperson will need to:
- uphold the The Rules of Association of the Society.
- strive to continually improve the organisation's policy, activities and administration.
- represent the Society to the outside world.
The Chairperson will be expected to:
- be responsible for the conduct of Print Group.
- convene meetings as required.
- make decisions alone if necessary.
- make recommendation to the Management about matters considered by the Print Group Council.
- allocate tasks to Councillors.
- provide material to the editor of the Print Group column in Image.
- prepare material for the Office to email to all Print Group members from time to time regarding particular services or events.
- respond to enquiries received from Print Group members or refer them as appropriate.
- prepare a budget for the Print Group each year.
- authorise expenditure of funds allocated to the Group from the overall APS budget.
- coordinate two print competitions per year.
- periodically update the information on the Print Group pages of the website through the Web Manager.
- have computer and internet access and be prepared to use it for communication between the Management Team (both email and web).
Applicants should decide if they have:
- adequate time to do this position justice.
- a genuine interest in voluntary committee work.
- a genuine interest in the objectives of the Society.
- an independent mind.
- the ability to make decisions based on principles rather than on personalities or personal beliefs.
- good standing in the community.