APS AV Spring National
Entry Fee: $10 per Sequence
|Entries Close||Sunday, 29th October 2023|
|Judging||Wednesday, 1st November 2023|
|Online Exhibition||Sunday, 12th November 2023|
|Catalogues & Awards||Tuesday, 12th December 2023|
Keith Seidel EFIAP/b GMAPS SSAPS
Sally Hinton EFIAP/b AV-AFIAP MAPS AV-FAPS PPSA
Trish McAuslan AV-AAPS EFIAP/b FAPS FPSNZ
1st Place APS Gold Medallios
2nd Place Silver Medallion
3rd Place Bronze Medallion
Herbert Medallions for excellence for audio visual production, best novice entry
1. This is an open competition; there are no restrictions on subject matter.
2. AVs can be collaboratively created by more than one author.
3. To be eligible for the Best Novice award, entrants must indicate this on the entry form and have never previously received an Acceptance in a national or international AV competition.
4. AVs accepted in previous instances of this annual National cannot be entered again into this National.
5. Entry is open to all AV authors resident in the Commonwealth of Australia and its Territories and also from financial APS members resident overseas.
6. The Summary on the entry form is for use by the organisers and will not be taken into account by the judges in their assessment.
7. The judges’ decision is final and neither the organisers or anyone else may alter that decision.
8. AVs that achieve an Acceptance (which includes all awards) will subsequently be viewable from the APS website via the APS YouTube Channel. Authors are encouraged to ensure that their entry satisfies the YouTube copyright requirements, especially as this will generally satisfy rule 9(a) below with respect to music copyright for this exhibition's purposes.
9. Submission of an AV explicitly indicates that the author:
a. Is legally entitled to use whatever content is contained within their production, and that there are no legal impediments to the inclusion of such material.
b. Indemnifies the APS and the competition organisers against any claims whatsoever arising from their entry.
c. Gives APS permission for the AV to be shown publicly or on the APS website and publication of a
representative image in an approved APS magazine.
d. Retains copyright of their creation.
e. Understands and accepts these rules as the conditions of entry and all judges’ decisions. The exhibition organisers may provide APS with details of breaches of these conditions of entry. APS retains the right to impose sanctions on entrants deemed to have repeatedly breached the conditions of entry of any APS approved exhibition.
10. Principles for an acceptable AV:
a. The author's original photographs are the essential components of an Audiovisual (AV).
b. Additional components that can contribute to an AV include: other still images, video clips, simulated movement, transitions, text, music, sounds, script, poetry and voiceovers. All forms of simulated movement, special effects and animations derived from still images are acceptable and differentiated from video clips.
c. Video clips should only be included if they are important to the story, with an aggregate duration not exceeding 20% of the running time of the AV.
d. Generated Images (GIs) are considered to be third-party images, defined here as images generated using tools such as graphic-design, computer-aided design and generative-AI applications which have not been substantially derived from an original photograph captured by the author.
e. The Author's Contributions are those components created by the author but exclude all GIs.
f. Third-Party Contributions are those components not created by the author, including all GIs, and should only be included if they are important to the story and it was not possible for the author to have photographically captured those images.
g. Judging will focus on the storytelling, emotional impact or artistic merit of the AV, particularly where influenced by the Author's Contributions.
h. All significant Third-Party Contributions to the AV must be appropriately credited at the end of the AV. Credits for the Author's Contributions, which is optional, must also be at the end of the AV.
i. AVs must be in MP4 file format using a H.264 codec. 1920 x 1080 pixels is the preferred resolution, but lower resolutions, down to 1024 x 683 pixels with a minimum 3:2 aspect ratio, are acceptable.
j. AVs cannot be more than 12 minutes in duration. After completing the online entry form and finalising payment, AVs must be sent via: www.wetransfer.com to email@example.com.
An Author may submit up to 4 AVs. The entry fee for 1 AV is $10.
Please ensure your email and mailing address are correct for sending of correspondence, catalogue, and possible awards.
AVs AND THE ENTRY FORM MUST BE SENT VIA: www.wetransfer.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
Exhibition Director: Dale Murphy FAPS AV-AAPS