- Category Definitions
The 6th Adelaide AV National 2022
approval # 2022/14
*** THIS EXHIBITION IS CLOSED ***This is separate from the National held in conjunction with the Adelaide AV Fest (International), which is conducted every two years.
There are now three AV Nationals every year: the Autumn AV National, the APS AV National and in alternate years, the Adelaide APS National and the National held in conjunction with Adelaide AV Fest.
The Adelaide AV National has APS approval and entry is online via the "Online Entry" tab.
The AV Fiche, which is now automatically generated, will be emailed to the director of the exhibition and the entrant, upon successful submission of the online entry form.
Entry fee is $10.00 for one sequence, with two to four sequences $20.00. Maximum running time of 12 mins per sequence.
Enquiries can be made to:
John Hodgson EFIAP/b AV-AFIAP FAPS AV-FAPS ESFIAP HonFAPS
Director | Adelaide AV National
For futher information Email => John Hodgson or Tel: 08 84317452 / 0417 880 596
- This is an open competition; there are no restrictions on subject matter.
- All entries will be judged primarily on their storytelling, emotional impact or artistic merit.
- AVs must be in MP4 file format only. Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) is the preferred AV resolution, but lower resolutions, down to 1024 x 683 pixels with a minimum 3:2 aspect ratio, are acceptable.
- Author and co-author names, if used, should be at the end of the AV. Appropriate credit must be given to the work of other artists used, i.e. music, poetry, third-party images, etc.
- Third-party images should be used only where they are important to the story and where it was not possible for the author to have captured those images.
- Video clip inserts are allowed in AVs but must not exceed 20% of the total duration of the AV. This limit excludes simulated motion, timelapse photography, computer-generated transitions or other similar mechanisms designed to simulate movement, which are all acceptable AV components.
- Those who have not received a 1st or 2nd place in a national AV competition, or an Acceptance in an international AV competition, may enter the Novice section.
- AVs accepted in previous Adelaide AV Nationals cannot be entered again.
- Entry is open to all photographers resident in the Commonwealth of Australia and its Territories and also from financial APS members resident overseas.
- Entries will not be returned. AVs not accepted will be deleted by the organisers.
- The Summary on the accompanying fiche is for use by the organisers and will not be taken into account by the judges in their assessment.
- Judges’ decisions are final and neither organisers nor anyone else may alter those decisions.
- Submission of an AV explicitly indicates that the author:
- It is the responsibility of each producer to ensure that they are legally entitled to use whatever content is contained within their production, and that there are no legal impediments to the inclusion of such material.
- The producer, by entering the competition, indemnifies APS and the competition organiser against any claims whatsoever arising from their entry.
- Submission of an AV explicitly indicates that the author gives APS permission for the AV to be shown in public or on the APS website and publication of a representative image in an approved APS magazine.
- Copyright of all original works will remain with the producer.
- It is the responsibility of each producer to understand and accept these rules as the conditions of entry and all judges’ decisions. The exhibition organisers may provide APS with details of breaches of these conditions of entry. APS retains the right to impose sanctions on entrants deemed to have repeatedly breached the conditions of entry of any APS approved exhibitio
ENTRIES MUST BE UPLOADED TO: www.wetransfer.com Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note there are no longer any categories, this is an OPEN competition. The following is for reference only.
Entrants are encouraged to explore the photographic medium and to use it to communicate their own personal vision incorporating feeling, senses and imagination to the viewer. The photography is not restricted in any way, either in subject matter or in the manipulation allowed during the taking or reproduction stages of the photography. The sequence must be based totally on photographic images. Video clips can be accepted within a sequence if relevant to the story and not more than 20% of the total duration of the sequence.
Nature – Depicts elements of the natural world in a photographic process which can be broken down into specialty fields – Wildlife, Landscape, Birds, Underwater, Astro, Macro/Close-up.
History - History is a narration of the events which have happened among mankind, including an account of the rise and fall of nations, as well as of other great changes which have affected the political and social condition of humans.
Travel – Places visited locally or worldwide.
Social - Social documentary is the recording of how the world looks with a social and/or environmental focus. The aim is to draw the public's attention to ongoing social issues. It may also refer to a socially critical genre of photography dedicated to showing the life of underprivileged or disadvantaged people.
Fiction - is any story or setting that is derived from imagination—in other words, not based strictly on history or fact.
Humour - is the tendency of experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement.
Poetry - is a type of literature, or artistic writing, that attempts to stir the imagination or emotions. The poet does this by carefully choosing and arranging language for its meaning, sound, and rhythm. Voice-over or text can be used in the sequence.
Music - The challenge lies in the production and visual progression of images linked to instrumental music. It is not a requirement to have a story with a specific beginning, middle and end, but the production should be constructed so that images dissolve harmoniously in terms of colour or tone and graphic design.
Song - A song is a single musical composition that has a melody and, often, words that are sung by a vocalist. The words of a song are called the lyrics, and they may include verses that tell a story. The photographs in the sequence will depict the story of the song.
Video is allowed in the sequences but must not be more than 20% of the total duration of the audio visual.
- 1st Place APS Gold Medal
- 2nd Place Silver Plaque
- 3rd Place Bronze Plaque
- Herbert Medallions for excellence in various areas for audio visual production
- Merits & Acceptances, Novice Award
|Entries Open||1 April 2022
|Entries Close||30 April 2022
||17 May 2022
|Reports Emailed||27 May 2022|
|Catalogues/Awards||10 June 2022|
- Keith Seidel EFIAP MAPS SSAPS
- Jan Burt
- Bruce Burgess FPSNZ